Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tribute to our Mothers

Best Advice My Mother Gave Me...
Don't take life too seriously. Whenever I need to get away from all the drama in my life, I call or visit my mom. She gossips and gets frustrated with life just like all of us, but she doesn't let anything get to her. She's taught me to see the good in everyone and everything rather than get worked up about situations. She's just simple...I love her for this.

Favorite Childhood Memory...
Holidays. Whether it was baking homemade Christmas cookies, watching my dad carry the big Halloween box up the basement stairs and transforming our house into a haunted one, or setting up all the red, white and blue decorations for July 4th, my mother made each and every holiday special. I remember waking up one Valentines Day (is that even a real holiday?) to a pink basket full of goodies and a note from my mom telling me how much she loved me...that letter is long gone but the memory is forever imprinted in my mind.

Favorite Thing To Do With My Mom...
Visit. Unfortunately we live in different states, so we always have to find time to visit each other. Once we are together though, we don't take one second for granted. Whether it be going shopping, watching HGTV or Real Housewives together, re-decorating every room in my house, playing with the babies or just plain talking, we have the best time.

Ashley with Christopher (2 years old) and Ella on the day she was born
Me in stroller with my mom and two older sisters, 1984



Best Advice My Mother Gave Me...
In my case, I can't pinpoint exact advice.....BUT I can definitely say that my Mother was a great role model to follow and lead by example. She is the hardest working, most dedicated person I know.Coming from nothing and working to become something.  She knows what is important in life and always finds the time to fit it all in. Spreading herself thin at times....but nevertheless appreciated for her presence. Thank you for always being there for all the sports events, all the school plays and concerts and all the chaos that is my life....your support and help will forever be appreciated.

Favorite Childhood Memory...
One of my favorite memories as a child, because I have many, was our yearly summer camping trip. It was a "roughing it" camping trip....no luxeries, yet the peacefulness and serenity were refreshing. The simplicities of swimming, fishing, hiking, roasting marshmallows and hotdogs, pumping our own water by hand and snuggling by the campfire, were the best times of my life. So much so, that my husband and I have carried on the same tradition, at the same campsite, on the same lake, with our girls.

Favorite Thing To Do With My Mom...
My mom and I love getting our nails done....Well, I mostly love the massage that comes with it and not necessarily the color. Although I can't afford to get in done on the regular, when we do occasionally go together, it's a nice time to sit side by side, relax and chat. And chat we can! I'm pretty sure that our chats make the time together more memoriable and meaningful.We also share a love for wine. As you're sitting there reading this, we're at a local vineyard, sipping, picnicing, chatting, and enjoying eachothers company....as well as the wine! So perhaps this will become another one of the favorite things I like to do with my mother.


Kirsten with her girls, Lily, Mia and Marli, on Mother's Day last year.


              My mom, my baby sister, and I feeding the birds (I think my mom is sneaking some popcorn for herself, one thing she still can't resist) and her helping me hold my sister when she was a newborn.                          
Best advice my mother gave me...
Don't sweat the small stuff. My mother learned this a little later in life, after being stricken with cancer, meanwhile raising four young children, not to mention a newborn. She learned that the dishes in the sink and the vacuuming can wait. Although I don't necessarily go by this advice as much as I'd like(thanks to my touch of OCD), every so often I stop and just absorb it all in... kissing and hugging my little ones, playing with them, and making sure I'm there for all their proud moments in school!!! Life is short, your children won't remember the house being spotless, but they will treasure the special moments with their parents!!! 

Favorite childhood memory...
Is definitely spending the summers in Cape Cod. It was probably a lot more fun for us kids, considering how difficult I've come to realize lugging four kids to the beach each day could be... but I'm sure was still fun for her too!!! We enjoyed mile long walks on the bayside sandbar, whale watching, trips to the  ice cream shop, and eating and helping out at my grandmother's coffee shop "The Brewster Coffee Shop." Also a little tribute to the sweet, little lady, my great-grandmother, Jane! I will always rememember running next door at the wee hours of the morning with my brother, Mike to go have toast with her. Whenever everyone else would be asleep, it would be the three of us sitting around the table eating the most perfectly toasted toast with jam. I wonder if she knows how special that was to us.

Favorite things to do with my mom...
Honestly, Nothing!!! I enjoy just being with her and talking, and joking around!!! She is a person I know I can trust with anything, and I know she is not judging me. She gives me and my family true unconditional love, and there is nothing more that I could ask for!!! Wish we could spend the day together, but good luck on your final, and we will celebrate after!!!


Sarah with her three children, Christopher, Bryce, and Chloe!
October 9, 1982!!! Sarah and her mother, Liz, meeting for the first time! Notice the bouquet of red roses from my dad, there was one pink for me... My parents called me their "little rosebud!"

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment