Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Roughin it at Green Falls

We were finally able to start up our yearly tradition of camping again now that I am no longer pregnant and Marli is no longer a newborn. It was still brave of us to bring our 3 kids, one being only 1 years old, out in the middle of the woods, with nothing but a tent. Oh, ok, I'm being a bit dramatic, but we were definitely roughing it with tent camping and no running water......although we had a water pump nearby that squeaked day and night with each campers use. All these sites and sounds of nature and camping, brought back so many great memories of my childhood. As I've mentioned in previous posts, this is the same tradition and campground that my family camped at yearly when I was a child.

Our favorite site...and coincidentally the only one open that weekend....my lucky soccer and softball number and Pele's number (for all my soccer enthusiasts out there. lol) We lovingly call it Skull Rock...you'll soon see why.




Some might think this is creepy, but I found it fascinating that this was carved into the the rock ledge in our campsite.


Here's the rock ledge that my kids just love to climb and obviously pose on for the camera. Simple things.

We went fishing on shore and by canoe many times....the girls absolutely loved it!












We hiked around the lake....over rocks and under branches, up hills and down hills, down riverbeds and over bridges.....for about 3 miles. It was my favorite part of the trip (besides cooking over the fire, which I'll get to later).





My mom stayed overnight 2 nights and went hiking with us.





I beautified my grubbiness with a simple daisy picked from the trails edge.
















We stopped for a quick water break near a brook and my husband captured this picture...one of my favs.


And this one...




As you all know by now, cooking is one thing I love to do....even cooking over the campfire. It's challenging figuring out how to do so and have variety. If the girls had their way, it would look alot like this....













I didn't get alot of photos of our meals because we cooked and ate before realizing, "Oh, no, I should've taken a picture of that!". This was breakfast one morning......




Fire-grilled apple chicken sausage breakfast sandwiches.

These little guys were camping lifesavers. (and no, I didn't get paid to say that. lol)


The many findings of Miss Lily...


She was prepared with "specimin containers" so that she could observe some of her findings.










Frog #1

Frog #2 (and a big one at that)

We had a great time with no TVs and no video games. We played cardgames by campfire and candlelight. It was good ol'fashioned fun.






All this good ol'fashioned fun really pooped us all out...









Although we had a good time (and I had a great 31st Birthday celebration while there), we are happy to be home and in our own beds and back to civilization. Can't wait to go back next summer!

Hope you're having a great summer! What have you been up to?

Kirsten







No comments:

Post a Comment