Friday, July 22, 2011

Cedar Plank Salmon

During the hot summer months, I tend to have to be a bit more creative in my cooking because I can't stand using the oven. This means that the grill gets alot of use.....on the days when we don't get take out. I still TRY ("TRY" being the operative word)  to be health-conscious most of the time....and fish is the best way to do so on the grill.



Tonight's Appetizer: Steamed Clams (or some call them Steamers)




We steamed these on the side burner on our grill while the maincourse was cooking.  (they are alot more delicious than they look. lol)

Tonight's Dinner: Cedar Plank Salmon

Cedar planks are specifically sold to use for cooking fish on the grill. You can find them in most kitchen supply stores for very inexpensive. Follow the directions on the packaging. The most important thing to remember is to submerse the planks in water and let soak for at least 90 minutes before putting on the grill.



Once the planks have soaked, place the raw fish (in this case, salmon) on them. Marinade or spice as desired. I used fresh dill, lemon, and a tad of olive-oil based butter.







Place planks right on grill top and follow cooking instructions. It's very important to slow cook to prevent the cedar from flaming up.





You may see some smoke....but that's good, since you are trying to acheive that smokey taste. Cook as long as desired....I prefer very well done fish, so I cook a bit longer than most.

I threw together a quick side to also cook on the grill. I used what I had on hand....and it came out really yummy!



I chopped up a head of cauliflower and a few sweet potatoes (skin on), drizzled them with olive oil and salt and pepper, and sauteed them on the grill using a wire pan specificially designed to do so. (A Father's Day gift for my hubby) Voila! Completely grilled meal! And healthy to boot!

No wine reviews today....it was a beer kind of night!


Refreshing!

Hope you're having a fun-filled, cool summer!?

Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment