Friday, September 9, 2011

Special 1st Day of School Breakfast!

School has finally started...after being postponed for more than a week due to no power from Hurricane Irene. My girls couldn't be happier to be in their morning routines again, to see their friends on the daily, and to meet their new teachers. What better to get them started on the right foot, than a special breakfast on the first day of school. Every year I come up with something special, something that I wouldn't normally have the time or energy to make on a school morning, something other than cold cereal. (Just being completely honest and I'm sure most mommies could relate to the chaos that insues.)

While flipping through one of my fav mags one day....



which ends up looking alot like this when I'm done reading it...





I found this one simple recipe for a breakfast item that included all the components that my daughters love...so I decided it would be perfect to debut on the first day of school.

The recipe....

Banana "Cigars"

~8 egg rolls wrappers
~3 bananas, sliced
~3 tbsp. of Nutella
~2 tbsp. melted butter (I used yogurt butter to make it less fattening)
~1 tbsp. confectioners' sugar

With point of wrapper facing you, place 4 banana slices in center.
                                                                                                                                                                        



Next, top with Nutella.




Brush edges of wrapper with melted butter and roll up like a burrito.




Brush entire roll up with butter and cook in nonstick skillet over medium heat for 8 minutes or until each side is crispy and golden brown.






Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm with your fav beverage. My daughters choose to pair their Banana "Cigars" with vanilla soymilk, where I opted for a Chai latte.














Hope you enjoy at your next special breakfast or even at a fun brunch! What did you make your kiddos their first days of school?


Kirsten


No comments:

Post a Comment